Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Get Your Blogger's Blog Indexed by Google

Without a doubt attaining organic search engine traffic to your blog or website is the most profitable way to make money online but can be difficult to achieve. I recently struggled with having only half of my posts indexed by Google and I had no idea why. According to various SEO tools all my meta tags, blog content and site maps were up to snuff. Yet I continued to see less URL's indexed by Google every week.


After much headache and deliberation I finally fixed the problem. As of today all my URL's are indexed by Google search engines according to Google Webmaster Tools. On this article I will lay down exactly what steps I took to get all my posts re-indexed.

  • 1:Add Meta Tags

Meta Tags basically tell search engines what your website is about and is very important in terms of SEO. Description Meta tags are especially important because its the information that shows up under your website link in the search engines. Here is a meta tag generator that I use.
http://www.addme.com/meta.htm


After making your meta tags you need to add them to your blog, in blogger go to edit HTML and paste meta tags, look for this code under the open head tag with Ctrl F

b:include data=


Final Code will be in HTML terms..


2:Find a good SEO meta analyzer tool

So you added your meta tags to your blogger blog,the next step you need to take is to analyze the effectiveness of those tags and the SEO of your blog in general.SEO Analyzers can provide you with excellent information on how to further make your blog more SEO friendly.

This is one of my favorite tools,its completely free and provides you with details on what changes need to be made to further optimize your blog.Finding this tool helped me to restructure my blog to be more SEO friendly and was probably a big factor in getting my URL's Re-indexed.
http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html

  • 3: Add a sitemap to your blogger blog

Sitemaps help Google search robots to better crawl your website. They basically act like a map for Google robots to use which can result in better crawl rates and faster indexing. Problem is that you can’t download a site map to blogger, the only way to add a sitemap to your blogger blog is to use your RSS or Atom feed as a sitemap.

To add your RSS or Atom Feed as a sitemap to Google simply go to Google Webmaster Tools(use your Google account to sign in.)Go to Webmaster Tools Dashboard click sitemaps then click add sitemap and in the field put 'rss.xml' (rss.xml)or(Atom.xml) . Click 'Add General Web Sitemap'.

  • 4: Solution Found!(Blogger Labels!)

After making changes to my blog using the steps I describe above, my indexed post count went up some but still I had many URl's yet to be Indexed. Optimistic that I was finally seeing some progress I continued to search for other ways to optimize my blogs.

While searching online for solutions to my indexing woe's I came across an excellent at article at Andybeard.eu describing how Google search engines do not index BlogSpot label pages. At this point I was stunned as every post on my blog had labels! Upon further research on this topic I realized that this was the likely culprit of my blogs lack of indexing. Here are the solutions that Andy proposes on his blog.

  • "Have excerpts on the label pages
  • Possibly no index the label pages with either meta no index or robots.txt no index
  • Add no follow to all external links on the label pages, both in the content and sidebar"

After doing away with my labels I seen increases in my posts indexed by Google every week that I checked until finally all my posts were indexed!

No comments:

Post a Comment